Wednesday 17 November 2010

Imogen Heap live at Sentrum Scene, 16.11.10

Imogen Heap from her last Oslo show in February
So, Imogen Heap came to Norway for the second time this year. Which is awesome. My friend Hildegunn and I, who also went to see her in February (the 25th), bought tickets and went again. After standing outside in line for about an hour and a half (which was frickin' cold, to say the least), we got through the doors and Hildegunn deposited our jackets while I ran downstairs into the hall, where I reserved places for us front and centre. Which meant that, despite my vertical limitations, visibility was excellent. Thus freezing our butts off outside payed off.

Anyway, as always, we waited around for a while after getting in,  and then Imogen Heap came on stage to introduce her warm-up bands. I love that she does this, and she's the only singer/band I've been to see who does. She usually brings along people she knows and has worked with, which means that the warm-up bands are always really good. In February she brought along an American who calls himself Back Ted-N-Ted, and if you haven't heard of him (most people haven't), go on YouTube and check out Hookie. She also brought with her Norwegian artist Kate Havnevik, who has lived many years in the UK and the States, and written music for, among other things, Grey's Anatomy.
Geese

The warm-up bands Imogen brings along are usually also part of her own set, and yesterday the opening act was a British duo called Geese, consisting of Vincent Sipprell on the viola and Emma Smith on the violin. Their music was very alternative, and the first song the played was very melodic and beautiful. I thought the next numbers were somewhat noisy and erratic, but that's just my personal taste. Still, if you're fond of alternative, experimental music, give them a listen.
Ben Christophers

Following them was another British artist named Ben Christophers. This music was something closer to my tastes. He had an absolutely beautiful voice, and I think I listened to most of his set with my mouth hanging open. In other words, very useful for inducing trance-like states. In all seriousness though, he had some truly wonderful songs, and I will definitely be purchasing one of his albums. Or possibly several. This is the problem with having decent warm-up bands. I want to buy their stuff.
Kate Havnevik

Breaking all manner of records, or, you know, just being awesome, Imogen Heap then came back on stage and declared that we were getting a third warm-up act. As it turns out, she had gotten Kate Havnevik to come by, kind of last-minute, and she did a couple songs, among others Halo, one of my personal favourites.

Then, of course, it was time for the show itself. Imogen Heap came on stage swinging a long plastic tube, or something of the like (she uses about a zillion different things to make sounds for her music), and she started the set with Clear the Area. Now, I don't remember every song she played, and in any case, taking you through the concert in its entirety probably wouldn't be all that interesting anyway. But she did play a couple songs that made me particularly happy. One of them was Closing In, which is currently featuring in one of the many Star Trek scenes in my head (involving Kirk and Spock and my W.I.P. fanfic "Finding Trinity" - don't ask. I'll probably blog about it later anyway). Also, she played Canvas. The previous two songs are from her second studio album "Speak For Yourself", and the last from her newest album "Ellipse".

Anyway, it was a wonderful concert. Imogen Heap runs about the stage, playing everything from rubber tubes to cymbals to drums to piano to wine glasses to keytar to the mbira. It's great fun seeing how she does it all. Not to mention she's very energetic, jumping and dancing about, which makes for a great show, but it makes trying to take good pictures really difficult. I did get a few good ones, though. Here's a small sampling:
Playing the mbira

Keyboards

Imogen Heap with Geese and percussionist Chris Vatalaro.


Last song - Hide and Seek - using a keytar and vocoder
Imogen Heap's lighting technician, John something, I couldn't find his name, anyway, he was really good, and created such a great atmosphere. There were so many shots I would like to have taken, but a brainless oaf of a security person came over and told me to put away my camera. Which was silly, because you're allowed to take still pictures at these things. I'm a neurotic wreck, so I've checked at least three times. The thing is, if you want to get a good photo in these lighting conditions, and with all the movement, you have to hold the camera still and get it ready. So I assume the idiot thought I was filming. Which I wasn't.

Anyway, ridiculous security personnel aside, Hildegunn and I did have a great time, and we'll definitely be going back to see her again the next time she comes.

1 comment:

  1. Så fine bilder!! Synd du ikke fikk tatt så mange etter at han fyren kom og maste... Gleder meg til neste gang. Håper det blir snart! :D

    ReplyDelete