Tuesday 12 April 2011

"Wasting Light"

So the new Foo Fighters album is finally out! I've been so excited for this album pretty much since Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace came out more than four years ago now. Four years. That's way too long to make your fans wait for a new album. But since it's the Foo Fighters, they're officially forgiven.

Also because this album is AWESOME. Critics are, as always, divided in their opinions, with some stating that Wasting Light is nothing special, and some praising it as the best album since The Colour and the Shape. I might admit that my own review of the album might be somewhat biased, as Foo Fighters is my favourite band, and as I have been anticipating this for ages, but, nevertheless, I find Wasting Light both exciting and melodious. I haven't listened extensively to all the tracks yet, but I already have several songs that I really enjoy, such as the first single, Rope, the opening song, Bridge Burning, track three, Dear Rosemary, and the second single, which is out now, White Limo. This last one takes the FF sound back to some of their earlier albums, and has much more of the original hard rock/grunge vibe. Screaming vocals by David Grohl. Dear Rosemary is probably my favourite track at the moment; it has a great beat, wonderful backing vocals by Bob Mould, of Hüsker Dü and Sugar, as well as amazing lyrics. Check it out!

Not familiar with the Foo Fighters? Here's ten reasons why you should give them a listen:

1.) David Grohl (guitar, vocal stylings, occasionally drums, song writer)
2.) The Colour and the Shape (possibly their best album)
3.) In a world of trend-oriented attention seekers, the Foo Fighters manage to remain planted on solid ground. Their music is about music, not about image.
4.) Some bands and artists get pissed off when their album is leaked before its release. Foo Fighters decided to put their entire album, with good sound quality, on their website so everyone could listen to it properly.
5.) How many bands record their seventh studio album in the lead singer's garage?
6.) Varied and interesting music. They have slow, melodious songs, loud, grungy songs and everything in between, while maintaining a distinctly "Foo Fighters" sound.
7.) Fairly easy intro into the world of rock music, if you're unfamiliar with, or new to, the genre. They saved me from my boyband faze.
8.) Wonderful live band. I'm going to see them in June, and I can't wait!
9.) Did I mention David Grohl? The rest of the band, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett, aren't too shabby either. ;)
10.) Final reason: YOU HAVE TO.

No comments:

Post a Comment