Saturday 13 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Well, I've been thinking of starting a blog for some time, and I figured, given my innate fascination with all things Harry Potter, that my first installment should have something to do with that wonderful concept. Also, the pre-premiere was yesterday (at Colosseum movie theatre in Oslo), so I figured a small review of sorts was in order.

 I've read several reviews so far, and most of them are not favourable. I can understand why, despite the fact that I do not agree. For people who have not read the books, the seventh installment of the Harry Potter movie series might be somewhat confusing, and a little slow-paced. If you are looking for epic battles and cinematographic wonders, this is not the movie for you. Don't get me wrong. The special effects are, as always, wonderful, the filming is good, and most of the acting is decent, but where the previous films have been centered on the action-related parts of the books, often at the expense of everything from characterisation to charm, this movie has chosen to attempt faithfulness to the book whence it came.

As an enthusiastic (bordering on the overly enthusiastic) Harry Potter reader, I feel this decision to remain true to the book has been director David Yates' and screenwriter Steve Kloves' best move so far. For what I love about the Harry Potter books is not the action, it is not the suspense that makes me read the books over and over again, but, rather, the colourful characters, the many charming scenes in between the action, the vivid descriptions, etc.

Dobby the House Elf
This time, Yates and Kloves have chosen to include many of those things that have, in earlier movies, been overlooked. For instance, Dobby the House Elf is given his first appearance since film two. Given that he is one of my favourite characters, it broke my heart that they left him out of the previous three films; in the books, he plays important roles in all these installments.

Moving on to the seventh film itself. As mentioned, I liked it. This was a pleasant surprise for me, as well as for one of my good friends, who, like me, has been very disillusioned with the whole film concept, and who was there last night. I was actually stunned at how little I had to complain about. Mostly, when I watch the Harry Potter movies, I'm constantly sighing and tearing my hair, trying not to throw things at the screen while I wonder at all the poor decisions people who are supposed to be creative manage to make. Movie number three, which is widely praised (at least in Norway) as the best of all the Potter movies, actually irritates me to such an extent that, even when I watch all the movies together, I refuse to see it.

Deathly Hallows part 1 is very much an "in between" film. It features Harry, Ron and Hermione's travels as they begin their search for Horcruxes and try not to be captured by Death Eaters. The movie actually manages to go through a lot of the book story. My friend and I discussed what might take up the time in the next installment, and we both assume that plenty of space will be reserved for the Battle of Hogwarts. And the funny thing is that I am now actually looking forward to the final film. I saw this installment with very low expectations, and, lo and behold, I was, for once, not disappointed!

On to the somewhat less than enthusiastic reviews. The reviewers' main problem appears to be the film's faithfulness to the book, a "problem" which is not going to give me any grief, as I have been hoping for more plot accuracy since I saw the first movie as a thirteen year-old. One issue that was raised, with which I cannot but agree, is the lack of acting skill in the movie's main character. Daniel Radcliffe is sadly incompetent as an actor, something he shows all too well in this movie. Scenes of a more emotional nature fly over his head, and he becomes exaggerated, and something of a caricature of himself. Though Emma Watson is not so much called into question by reviewers, she is also, in my eyes, a significant problem, and her ditsy, girly portrayal of Hermione (which doesn't even vaguely resemble the character we all know and love) bothers me more than Radcliffe's acting. But these are both general problems, which permeate all films, and are not specific to this one.


Rhys Ifans - Xenophilius Lovegood
Bill Nighy - Rufus Scrimgeour
Like I said, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and I'll take you through some of the (for me) high points. Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour was definitely at the top of the list. Also, Rhys Ifans as Xenophilius Lovegood was an excellent choice. They are both spectacular. Generally, the older actors always make me happy. Except Michael Gambon. Though I like him very much as an actor, he was an absolutely horrendous Dumbledore, taking absolutely all the magic out of his character. However, as Dumbledore died in the last film, we don't have to put up with Gambon's very free interpretation of his character in this one. So, yay. Other high points were Ron Weasley's breakdown, which was played quite spectacularly by Rupert Grint (who is, by a long shot, the best actor of the trio), Snape's (Alan Rickman) expression as he is forced to watch Muggle Studies teacher Charity Burbage die, the reappearance of the delightfully wicked Dolores Umbridge (played magnificently by Imelda Staunton), Harry Potter in women's lingerie, lots of beautifully scenic landscape shots (which the reviewers failed to appreciate), and plenty of humour, despite the movie's darker tone.

To round off this long post, I want to say that I can, for the first time since movie number two, heartily recommend this film. I know my friends and I had lots of fun at the pre-premiere. We made our own cloaks, which turned out wonderfully, but took quite a lot of hard work to complete, and we all looked quite spiffy yesterday.
Karl-Erik, Jeanett, Hildegunn and me - two Slytherins, a Gryffindor and a Hufflepuff, united for the occasion.
It was Jeanett's genius that instructed us in the robe-making, but we all successfully sewed our own robes. I am also wearing a Slytherin scarf and hat (my gloves are apparently in my bag in this picture) which I have knitted myself.

So, in short, the premiere was a success, the evening was a success, and the film was, despite the rambling criticisms of reviewers, a success. Go see it.

1 comment:

  1. Yey! You had to follow the wave, and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete